Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Eleanor Duckworth is a Poet

I read this over and over, and then over and over. It is the first Paragraph from "Teaching as Research" by Eleanor Duckworth in "The having of wonderful ideas"

"What I love to do is to teach teachers. I love to stir up their thoughts about how they learn; about how on earth anyone can help anyone else learn; and about what it means to know something. I love to help them feel that any aspect of human endeavor is accessible to them and that they can make it accessible to any person they teach. I love to try to find ways into a subject that will catch everybody's interest; to find out what people think about things and to find ways to get them talking about what they think; to shake up things they thought they once knew; to get people wrapped up in figuring something out together without needing anything from me; to help build their fascination with what everybody else thinks, and with the light that other people's thinking might shed on their own. I love to see the most productive of questions be born out of laughter, and the most frustrating of brick walls give way to an idea that has been there all along."


3 comments:

  1. "to help build their fascination with what everybody else thinks, and with the light that other people's thinking might shed on their own"

    That's my favorite

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, I read it several times and I read it every time I start teachers training.

    ReplyDelete